Ugandan FA interested in joint bid for 2017 AFCON
The Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) said it will wait for government clearance before accepting a joint bid with Kenya to host the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON).
Moses Magogo, the FUFA president told Xinhua in an interview Thursday that the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) had contacted them on possibilities of a joint bid for co-hosting together with Rwanda, reports Xinhua.
"We are okay with having a joint bid, but having the AFCON in our region is not a small matter. We have asked Kenya to make the request formal in writing so that we can consult with the government to see if they can give us clearance on this," Magogo said.
"We need to get government clearance because this involves lots of things like security and also requires the government to invest," he added.
This development comes after Libya, who had been selected to host the 2017 event, pulled out over a week ago because of the ongoing political instability in the country.
Confederation of African Football, the continent's football governing body said countries wishing to host the tournament have until Sep 30 to express their interest. A decision on Libya's replacement will be made next year.
Sam Nyamweya, the President of the FKF confirmed that there were plans to have the three countries bid to host the event.
(Posted on 29-08-2014)
Free Yearly Horoscope: Select your zodiac sign