London, Aug 28 ANI | 4 months ago

McLaren driver Jenson Button's Formula One career is reportedly hanging in the balance as his team is continuing with their pursuit of Ferrari's Fernando Alonso.

McLaren have been courting Alonso since last year after deciding that they want him as a lead driver for their new engine partnership with Honda from 2015. They are not prepared to take any other decisions on drivers until they know whether Alonso will leave Maranello.

Button is out of contract this year and wants to stay at McLaren, but the Brit, who has been racing in Formula one for 14 years, admitted that this could be his last season in the sport, The BBC reported.

Button said that they have not sat down and talked about it, and added that if he has to retire at the end of the season then so be it. But, he said that he feels he has so much more to give and can't imagine life without motorsport and especially Formula One.

McLaren said that they are in no hurry to conclude their driver line-up for 2015. Racing director Eric Boullier said that Button is racing for them and they have discussions open with him, but until McLaren has decided on their strategy, they will not finalise their driver line-up.

(Posted on 28-08-2014)

Share This Page: