Ebola affected health workers to receive 'best care': WHO
The World Health Organisation (WHO) Sunday said it will ensure its Ebola-affected health workers in Sierra Leone receive the best care possible, including the option of medical evacuation to another care facility if necessary.
Since the beginning of the international response to the outbreak in March, WHO has deployed nearly 400 people from across the organisation and from partners in the Global Outbreak Alert and Response Network to help respond to the disease in four west African countries, Xinhua reported.
According to WHO, the Ebola virus is spread through contact with bodily fluids and people giving care or working around infected patients are known to be a high-risk group.
Earlier in the day, Britain evacuated its national, who contracted the Ebola virus in Sierra Leone, by flying him back to Britain on a Royal Air Force jet.
The unidentified patient, who worked as a healthcare worker, had tested positive for Ebola virus infection last week.
Last week, as many as 113 new cases of Ebola virus disease as well as 84 deaths were reported from Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone, the WHO said.
The toll in Guinea, where the epidemic started, is 406, while in Sierra Leone, 392 have succumbed to the haemorrhagic fever. Nigeria has witnessed five deaths so far.
An outbreak of Ebola virus disease began in Guinea in December 2013, leading to an epidemic in West Africa after it spread to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria.
(Posted on 25-08-2014)
Free Yearly Horoscope: Select your zodiac sign