Jerusalem, Aug 21 IANS | 4 months ago

Israel will step up the offensive in the Gaza Strip until rocket firing from there into Israel stops, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Wednesday in response to renewed Gaza rocket attacks against central and southern Israel earlier in the day.

"Our policy is simple, if they (Hamas) will shoot, they will be hit back seven-fold," Xinhua quoted Netanyahu as saying on TV.

Israel will use "all means" to "restore the quiet" across the country, he added. His remarks came just a day after the indirect Gaza truce talks in Cairo collapsed.

On the reported assassination attempt of Hamas' military wing leader Mohammad Deif, which Israel refused to confirm, Netanyahu said "the commanders of terror organisations are a legitimate target, no one is immune".

Israeli air strike on Deif's home Wednesday killed his wife and daughter, and triggered a barrage of more than 100 rockets fired into Israel. No injury was reported.

Israel in return carried out numerous air strikes in Gaza Wednesday, in which Palestinian officials said at least 20 Palestinians have been killed since the cease-fire talks collapsed.

(Posted on 21-08-2014)

Share This Page: