Shuttlers Santoso, Ahsan-Setiawan withdraw from World meet
Indonesia's ambitions at the World Badminton Championships were severely dented Tuesday with the withdrawals of men's doubles defending champions Mohammad Ahsan-Hendra Setiawan and Simon Santoso from the men's singles event.
Badminton Association of Indonesia (PBSI) international relations manager Bambang (Rudy) Roedyanto Tuesday informed the Badminton World Federation (BWF) that these competitors were being withdrawn from the tournament due to injury with Ahsan having re-injured his back and Santoso being diagnosed with dengue fever.
"It's a disaster for us, what can I say. We are leaving Thursday morning and we have no choice (but to withdraw them). They cannot play," he said.
This news completes a triple whammy for Indonesian badminton with the earlier withdrawal of defending mixed doubles pair Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir due to an ankle injury which Ahmad suffered in June.
As the World Championship draw already done, there will be no replacements for either Ahsan-Setiawan or Santoso. Ironically, Santoso was catapulted into the men's singles line-up after China withdrew last year's semi-finalist Du Pengyu.
"It's the second time Ahsan has had lower back pain and it has gotten worse in the past few days while he has been training. He cannot even sit down properly now. So, of course, he can't move well or jump-smash and the doctor says he should not go," said Roedyanto.
Meanwhile, Santoso has been hospitalised after falling ill Monday.
(Posted on 19-08-2014)
Information on States of India:
INDIA REGIONAL MAPS:
KERALA TRAVEL MAPS:
TRAVEL MAPS OF INDIA:
INDIA CITY MAPS: