Mumbai court issues non-bailable warrants against 12 more 26/11 accused
A local court here which is trying the case of Lashkar-e-Taiba operative and 26/11 key handler Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal, today issued non-bailable warrants against 12 more accused in connection with the 26/11 terror attack case.
Special prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told media persons here that all the 12 persons against whom NBWs have been issued, are allegedly based in Pakistan.
Earlier, the court, which conducted the trial of terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, had issued NBWs against 35 accused.
With this, the total number of wanted terrorists in the 26/11 case has gone up to 47.
Those against whom NBW have been issued include Major Sameer, Sajid Mir alias Vashi and Commander Yakub.
The 2008 Mumbai attacks were twelve coordinated shooting and bombing attacks across Mumbai by members of Lashkar-e-Taiba.
Ajmal Kasab, the only attacker who was captured alive, later confessed upon interrogation that the attacks were conducted with the support of Pakistan's ISI.
The attacks, which drew widespread global condemnation, began on November 26 and ended on November 29, claiming the lives of 166 people and wounding at least 308.
Eight of the attacks occurred in South Mumbai -- at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, the Oberoi Trident, the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower, Leopold Cafe, Cama Hospital, the Nariman House Jewish community centre, the Metro Cinema, a lane behind the Times of India building and St. Xavier's College.
There was also an explosion at Mazagaon, in Mumbai's port area, and in a taxi at Vile Parle.
By the early morning of November 28, all sites except for the Taj hotel had been secured by Mumbai Police and security forces.
On November 29, India's National Security Guards (NSG) conducted Operation Black Tornado to flush out the remaining attackers. It resulted in the deaths of the last remaining attackers at the Taj hotel and ending all fighting in the attacks.
Ajmal Kasab disclosed that the attackers were members of Lashkar-e-Taiba. The Indian government said that the attackers came from Pakistan. A trial court sentenced Kasab to death on all the 86 charges for which he was convicted on May 6, 2010.The Bombay High Court upheld the verdict on February 21, 2011 and the Supreme Court upheld his death sentence on August 29, 2012.
Kasab was executed by hanging at Yerwada Jail in Pune on November 21, 2012.
(Posted on 16-01-2014)