London. Aug 17 ANI | 3 months ago

Members of Iraqi minority believe there could be another massacre of civilians by the extremist militants of the Islamic State.

According to The Independent, a leading Yazidi politician said yesterday that he was preparing to make a last stand in his home village in northern Iraq, as members of the religious minority warned of another massacre.

While sources say that up to 400 men in the village of Kocho were executed for refusing to convert to Islam, the United Nations said they were attempting to confirm reports of the atrocity against Yazidis since the Islamic State offensive began on 3 August, the report said.

At least eleven fighters from the Islamic State were killed the night before as Kurdish forces backed by US air strikes attempted to seize back the Mosul Dam, which is the main source of power in northern Iraq.

Referring to US President Barack Obama's remarks on Mount Sinjar evacuation, a leading Yazidi activist, Dr Mirza Dinnayi, said that it was as "a very big mistake."

He claimed there were still 25,000 people in the area and said that his sources from neighbouring villages revealed that militants had killed 350 people in Kocho and abducted 1,000 women.

Obama said earlier that it was no longer necessary to carry out a military evacuation of Mount Sinjar.

Tens of thousands of people were trapped by militants in Mount Sinjar, out of which, many of them managed to flee following US air strikes, the report added.

(Posted on 17-08-2014)

Share This Page:


Post your comments