Keep tummy troubles at bay during holiday
A bout of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) or tummy trouble is the last thing one would want on a holiday - so be smart in managing what you eat and how you eat to keep issues away.
Dietician Helen Bond suggests tips on how those who suffer from IBS, can remain trouble-free when on vacation, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
"Strange food, long flights and changing your daily routine can all play havoc on your digestive system, and that may cause your IBS to flare-up unexpectedly.
"Your bowels need time to adjust to any changes, so here are some top tips on how to keep your condition under control during those all-important summer months," said Bond, a consultant dietician to Buscopan IBS Relief.
* Eat regularly: It can be tempting to eat at strange times or rely on one or two big blow-out meals at the all-inclusive buffet when on holiday, but try not to leave long gaps between eating or eat late at night, as both can aggravate IBS.
* Relax and don't worry: Reducing your stress levels can have a positive effect on your IBS and where better to do that than on holiday. Work out where the nearest toilets are when you're travelling to avoid last minute panics.
* Stay active: It's easy to slob about on holiday, and while you don't have to be up and about all the time, undertaking some gentle exercise can help to keep the bowels working smoothly, so perhaps try looking for local yoga classes or swimming a few lengths of the hotel pool when you can.
* Don't be put off eating foreign food: You can check menus before you head out so you can make sure there are options you will enjoy and put your mind at rest. Buffets can encourage you to over indulge too, so try using a smaller plate or stick to just one helping.
* Keep a treatment handy: Either in your hand luggage or in an easily accessible compartment in case of unavoidable flare-ups while travelling. Anti-spasmodics target the root cause of pain and can be taken at first sign of every flare-up, whether mild or severe, so make sure you keep one handy.
(Posted on 16-08-2014)
Free Yearly Horoscope: Select your zodiac sign