London, Aug 15 ANI | 4 months ago

The suggestions about Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen leaving Ferrari at the end of the year have been reportedly dismissed by president Luca Di Montezemolo.

Alonso has just two podium finishes from 11 races in 2014, while Raikkonen has a best result of sixth place. And the team's failure to produce a winning car led to speculation over both men.

But Di Montezemolo said that they are lucky to have two great champions, who are working with the whole team to get back to being competitive again, The BBC reported.

Raikkonen joined Ferrari for the second time in his career at the end of 2013, having won the world title with the Scuderia in 2007, but has picked up just 27 points so far, triggering reports that the Finn could retire. He is, however, under contract at Ferrari until the end of 2015, with an option on his side to extend it to 2016.

Alonso, who is also contracted until the end of 2016, is frustrated by Ferrari's continuing inability to provide him with a car which is competitive enough to fight consistently for race victories and the title, and is a target for McLaren.

Di Montezemolo said on the Ferrari website that as is the case every summer, there is unfounded gossip about alleged problems with senseless rumours bandied about, such as the ones relating to Alonso's contract.

He added that they know that the summer heat always produces silly stories. Di Montezemolo said that their drivers must now relax in order to return in top form.

The Ferrari president said that the season is still long and they need Alonso and Raikkonen to be in great shape.

Alonso has finished in the points at every race so far this season and sits fourth in the drivers' standings, 87 points behind leader Nico Rosberg of Mercedes, the report added.

(Posted on 15-08-2014)

Share This Page: