Modi's announcements seek to improve rural infrastructure
Posted on Aug 15 2014 | IANS
New Delhi, Aug 15 : Prime Minister Narendra Modi Friday made a series of announcements during his Independence Day speech, including his government's decision to replace the Planning Commission with a new institution and to enhance financial inclusion of the poor.
Here are some of the announcements:
- Poor people to be provided with a bank account facility through the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (Prime Minister's People's Wealth Mission).
- Account holders under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana will be provided with a debit card and insurance of Rs.1 lakh.
- Skill development to be the government's mission for development of the country.
- The government will boost the manufacturing sector to provide maximum employment to youth.
- Invitation to foreign companies and individuals to set up manufacturing units in India.
- No city or village should remain dirty by 2019, when the country observes Mahatma Gandhi's 150th birth anniversary. It will be achieved through public participation.
- Launch of Swachch Bharat campaign from Oct 2, Mahatma Gandhi's birth anniversary.
- Parliamentarians urged to use their Member of Parliament Local Area Development (MPLAD) fund for construction of toilets in schools for one year.
- 'Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana' (parliamentarian model village scheme) for parliamentarians. Every lawmaker has to develop one village in his or her constituency into a model village under the scheme.
- A parliamentarian should develop two more villages before 2019. After that, every parliamentarian has to develop at least five villages during a five-year tenure.
- A complete blueprint of the 'Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana' will be presented to all parliamentarians and state governments by Oct 11.
- Need to think about giving new shape to the Planning Commission. New institution to be created very soon with new direction which will strengthen work of state governments and country's federal structure.