Rio De Janeiro, Aug 15 IANS | 4 months ago

Former Brazil striker Fred severely criticised his Fluminense teammates after the side crashed out of the Brazilian Cup, beaten by minnows America-RN.

The 30-year-old, who wore the No. 9 shirt for the Selecao at last month's World Cup, Thursday described his team's 2-5 defeat as 'unacceptable', reports Xinhua.

"It was an unbelievable result. With all respect to America, it was a very bad result for us," he said.

The striker, who has been with Fluminense for over five years, went on to comment that the team's unity will stand them in good stead to maintain a title challenge this season.

"Our group is united and strong. Before this classico that we have on Sunday (against Botafogo) we cannot change what has gone, with a tumultuous week ahead of us," Fred said.

Fred has already won two Brazilian titles with the Rio de Janeiro club. He scored one goal at the World Cup, against Cameroon, before retiring from international football following Brazil's 1-7 defeat in the semi-final against Germany.

(Posted on 15-08-2014)

Share This Page: