Cairo, Aug 13 IANS | 3 months ago

Egypt's ousted president Hosni Mubarak told the Cairo Criminal Court Wednesday that he did not give orders to kill protestors during the 2011 popular uprising against his long-time rule, media reported.

"A man like me who was responsible for defending the country and its people, as belonging to the armed forces for more than 60 years, couldn't order the killing of my people," Mubarak said in a speech to the judges' panel.

The 86-year-old ex-president added that he never willingly allowed the country to slip into chaos, emphasising that he voluntarily chose to leave office to protect Egyptian lives, Xinhua reported citing state-run Nile TV.

Mubarak was sentenced to life in prison last year along with his interior minister Habib al-Adli after being convicted of ordering the killing of protestors and inciting violence during the uprising, which led to his ouster.

More than 800 people were killed during the clashes then between the police and the protestors. The police eventually withdrew, and Mubarak said he later transferred power to the armed forces.

Mubarak appealed the verdict and the court ordered his retrial.

Mubarak, who currently is kept under house arrest in a military hospital in Maadi, a Cairo suburb, was handed down three years in jail over other corruption cases.

Presiding judge Mahmoud al-Rashidy said he would issue the final verdict in the case of killing the protestors Sep 27.

(Posted on 13-08-2014)

Share This Page:


Post your comments