Try fruit treatments for glowing, healthy skin
If bananas can help in maintaining the elasticity of the skin, strawberries provide exfoliation and cleansing. In short, fruits can help in achieving glowing skin if used religiously, says an expert.
Aakriti Mehra, MD dermatologist of Enhance Clinics, shares some skin benefits of fruits and how they help in making the skin glow, said a statement.
* Banana: It is a rich source of vitamin and minerals including potassium, manganese, biotin, vitamin C and B6. The vitamins maintain the elasticity of the skin and the antioxidants prevent aging. It is also a natural moisturiser and can be used in homemade scrubs and masks.
* Orange: Like most citrus fruits it contains a high level of vitamin C along with beta carotene, folic acid, phosphates, iodides, iron, phytonutrients and flavonoids. These components help to treat dark spots and blemishes. The orange peel can be powdered and used as a scrub for instant glow and skin whitening as it acts as a natural bleach. It also acts as a toner removing dirt, dead skin and giving the skin a firmer feel.
* Strawberry: It contains a higher level of vitamin C and manganese which helps to exfoliate and cleanse the skin, lightens age spots and freckles. Strawberries also prevent thinning of hair and give it a glossy shine. It can be used as an exfoliator in foot scrubs.
* Tomato: It is rich in vitamin A, C & K. it acts as an antioxidant in preventing aging and is used widely as a whitening and de-tanning agent.
* Papaya: The fruit contains a rich amount of antioxidants like carotenes and vitamin B and C. It keeps your skin hydrated, making it supple and smooth. It also has exfoliation and anti-aging properties.
* Avocado: With a high concentration of vitamin A and E, it gives your skin a natural glow. It also helps to moisturise and rejuvenate the scalp.
* Grapes: They have phytochemicals and phytonutrients which are antioxidant and anti-inflammatory in nature helping regeneration and healing of skin.
* Apple: It contains vitamin C which helps to boost collagen and tightens the skin. It also has copper which is important for melanin production and vitamin A with other antioxidants which control acne, decrease dark eye pigmentation and increase hair growth. It has also been shown to decrease the dandruff in the scalp.
(Posted on 12-08-2014)