Rio de Janeiro, Aug 12 IANS | 4 months ago

Brazilian left-back Filipe Luis has admitted to feeling "hurt" at missing out on the 2014 World Cup squad, but has the 2018 edition in Russia in his sights.

"I was upset. I had a great season (with Atletico Madrid) and I think I deserved to be called up," the newly signed Chelsea defender was quoted as saying by Brazilian sports daily Lance Monday, reports Xinhua.

Hosts Brazil were humiliated by Germany 1-7 in the 2014 World Cup semifinal and lost 0-3 to the Netherlands in the third-place playoff, which resulted in the departure of coach Luiz Scolari.

"But he (Scolari) did a great job and built a team with fighting spirit," Luis said.

On the new coach of Brazil, Dunga, the 1994 World Cup winning captain, Luis said Dunga convinced him when he was playing for Spanish outfit Deportivo La Coruna, not to accept an invitation to represent Spain in 2009, but wait for a chance with Brazil.

"I know Dunga well and he convinced me to choose Brazil. I am absolutely at his disposition for the next call-ups and I am going to represent Brazil with the same happiness as always," he said.

Brazil's next match is against Colombia Sep 5 at the Sun Life Stadium in Miami, Florida. It will be Dunga's first match back in charge. Dunga had previously coached Brazil from 2006 to 2010.

(Posted on 12-08-2014)

Share This Page: