Rio de Janeiro, Aug 5 IANS | 5 months ago

Flamengo are set to terminate the contracts of former Brazil internationals Andre Santos and Elano.

The agents of both players are in talks with Brazilian club officials after coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo said they were not part of his plans, according to the Globo news portal, reports Xinhua.

Former Arsenal defender Santos is contracted to the Rio de Janeiro club until next june while Elano's year-long loan from Gremio expires in December.

Both players have failed to live up to expectations at Flamengo, who face a battle to avoid relegation from Brazil's top tier for the first time in their history.

Santos, who joined the club in July 2013, was last month attacked by a fan after Flamengo's 0-4 loss to Internacional.

The 31-year-old reportedly told the club of his wish to leave after the incident.

Elano, capped 50 times for Brazil, has managed just four league matches for Flamengo since his January arrival. The 33-year-old midfielder is understood to have accepted a reduced payout to return to Gremio or seek another club.

Flamengo are currently last in Brazil's Serie A standings with 10 points from 13 matches.

Luxemburgo, a former manager of Brazil and Real Madrid, last month replaced Ney Franco as coach of the club.

(Posted on 05-08-2014)

Share This Page: