NSEL scam: Additional charge sheet filed against Jignesh Shah
Tightening the screws on MCX promoter Jignesh Shah, Mumbai police filed a 9,000-page supplementary charge sheet against him in the Rs.5,600 crore NSEL scam, official sources said Monday.
In January, police's Economic Offences Wing (EOW) had filed its initial charge sheet in this case against Shah and others. The fresh charge sheet - a copy of which has also been submitted to the Bombay High Court where Shah's bail plea will be heard Tuesday - is said to detail the exact role Shah played in the mega-scam which rocked the country's financial markets last year.
The EOW had lodged the voluminous charge sheet - which incorporates the statements of 250 witnesses and other relevant documents - in the Special Maharashtra Protection of Interest of Depositors Court.
Shah was arrested by the EOW May 7 following which he sought bail from the sessions court.
After the sessions court dismissed his bail plea June 24, he moved the Bombay High Court.
The EOW and other agencies swooped on Shah and others last year after the National Stock Exchange Ltd. faced a major payment crisis in which around 18,000 of its investors reportedly suffered losses worth millions of rupees.
Shah contended that he was only a non-executive director of NSEL, which was part of his Financial Technologies Group, and hence, not involved in the routine operations of the NSEL.
(Posted on 05-08-2014)