About 65,000 evacuated after flood alert in Bihar
Posted on Aug 04 2014 | IANS
Patna, Aug 4 : Over 65,000 people have been evacuated in Bihar Monday amid a flood alert, following a rise in the water level of Kosi river, an official said.
A day after the Bihar government invoked the provisions under the Disaster Management Act to start forcible evacuation of people living near the embankments of the Kosi river, thousands of people have been shifted to safer places.
"So far we have evacuated over 65,000 people. But many more are still to be taken to safer places to minimise the danger in case of worse situation," Disaster Management Department (DMD) principal secretary Vyasji (one name) told IANS here.
Those who are evacuated were taken in 123 relief camps set up in Supaul, Madhepura, Saharsa, Araria, Purnea, Madhubani and Darbhanga.
Vyasji said the government agencies were concerned and are preparing for the worst. "We are not in a mood to take any chance and not only have alerted all, but actively are doing it with full capacity after Nepal alerted the state government Saturday," he added.
Vyasji said about 20,000 to 25,000 people were earlier taken out of the vulnerable places following the state government appeal in the face of likely floods.
"We have received information that thousands of villagers have left their houses for safer places," he said.
Anirudh Kumar, an official of the disaster management department, said some people have been resisting the move to leave their houses.
"The local officials are trying to persuade them to reach to the safer places," said Anirudh Kumar.