Corinthians seek new deal with Newcastle target Guerrero
Posted on Aug 03 2014 | IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Aug 3 : Brazil's Corinthians have begun talks to renew the contract of Paolo Guerrero amid reports that the Peru striker is on the radar of four English Premier League clubs.
The former Bayern Munich forward is being sought by Newcastle United, Queens Park Rangers, Sunderland and West Ham United, Xinhua quoted the Brazilian news portal Globoesporte as saying.
In a statement on the club's official web site Saturday, Corinthians said talks were underway to extend the 30-year-old's contract, which expires next June.
"Interest from other clubs has forced (us) to put him (Guerrero) in the queue of contracts that we need to renew," the statement said. "So far he has told us that his desire is to stay."
Corinthians effectively have until December to secure a new deal for the striker due to international transfer rules that allow players to negotiate with rival clubs six months before their contracts end.
Guerrero has scored 32 goals in 90 appearances for Corinthians since joining the Sao Paulo-based club from Hamburg in 2012.
This year he has been on target just seven times in 27 matches across all competitions.
In June, the five-time Brazilian champions reinforced their forward stocks by signing Paraguay international striker Angel Romero from Cerro Porteno.