14 militants killed in Egypt's Sinai
At least 14 militants were killed Sunday in a military raid in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, an official said.
After the raid, the military arrested 47 people in Sheikh Zuweid and Rafah cities in North Sinai bordering Israel, the official told Xinhua.
The forces destroyed 18 terrorist hideouts, including houses and huts used as strongholds for targeting the army and police forces, the official said.
Six cars were seized and eight motorbikes were burnt during the security crackdown.
Also, 13 tunnels for smuggling drugs between Egypt and the Gaza Strip have been destroyed, the official added.
On Saturday, three civilians - among them two children - were killed and nine injured when a mortar hit two houses in Sheikh Zuweid city.
Twenty-six militants were killed in military raids that continued from Friday till Saturday evening at Sheikh Zuweid.
Attacks by extremist militant groups mounted mainly in the restive Sinai Peninsula and some other provinces across the country, including the capital Cairo, since the military ouster of former president Mohamed Morsi last year.
More than 500 soldiers and policemen have been killed across the country during the security crackdowns on the major areas of Morsi's supporters in August, which left at least 1,000 dead and thousands arrested.
Sinai-based Al Qaeda linked Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis group has claimed responsibility for most of the attacks against security personnel in Egypt.
(Posted on 27-07-2014)