Atletico welcome back Cardoso, hints at Torres's return
Posted on Jul 24 2014 | IANS
Madrid, July 24 : Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo says he is delighted that Portuguese midfielder Tiago Cardoso has made a U-turn to re-sign with the club while at the same time dropping a big hint that local hero Fernando Torres would be welcome back at the Vicente Calderon.
Tiago gave Atletico a major boost when the key midfielder signed a new two-year contract earlier this week. He had left Atletico at the end of June to join Chelsea, but returned to Atletico after a breakdown in contract talks with the English outfit.
"He has arrived in time and we are delighted he is here with us because everyone can make a mistake," said Cerezo.
"He was in a complicated situation but took the chance to return to where he should never have left and here he is," he said.
Atletico lost striker Diego Costa to Chelsea earlier this summer and Costa's move to London could open the door for Torres to return to the club where he began his career and where he is still loved by the fans. Although Cerezo would not say Atletico would bid to bring the 30-year-old back to the Calderon, he also hinted Torres would not be unwelcome.
"This is a house where you get a good welcome and anyone who wants to come here is going to be welcome," he said.
It has been a largely positive summer for the Spanish league champions, as it looked as if the bulk of the side which won the league and reached last season's Champions League final would abandon the club. As it is, players such as Gabi Fernandez and Juanfran Torres have signed new deals and committed their future to Atletico.
"People thought we'd lose 10 players, but we have lost just four: Costa, Felipe Luis, David Villa and Courtois.... If we are able to solve two problems, I think we are going to have an even better side than last year," concluded the Atletico President.