Blake to miss rest of the season after surgery
Posted on Jul 24 2014 | IANS
Kingston (Jamaica), July 24 : Former world 100m champion Yohan Blake will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing surgery in Germany to repair a damaged hamstring muscle.
The Jamaican sprinter damaged the muscle while competing at the Diamond League meet in Glasgow earlier this month, reports CMC.
"Right now he's on crutches, he needs to have an operation a couple of days ago," said Blake's coach Glen Mills.
"The injury was quite severe and the original prognosis was misdiagnosed. When he went to Germany and they had a good look, they realised that it was more serious and required surgery. So he'll be out for quite a long time."
The 24-year-old double Olympic silver medallist returned this season and helped Jamaica set a new world record in the 4x200-metre relay in The Bahamas in May.
However, since then, his performance suggested he was struggling to recapture the form that saw him becoming the second fastest man in history in both the 100 and 200 metres.
"I will know more when he comes back to Jamaica, I think, next week," Mills said.
"He is there with his agent."
Blake had opted not to take part in the Commonwealth Games so that he could focus on preparing for the World Championships in Beijing next year and the Olympics in Rio in 2016.
He missed most of the 2013 season after injuring his hamstring at the UTech Classic in April that year.