Kuala Lumpur, July 21 IANS | 5 months ago

Malaysia has announced the establishment of a joint investigation team on the MH17 incident, which comprises officials from the Netherlands, Malaysia, Britain and the US.

However, the Ukrainian government had informed the investigation team that the crash site was under the full control of separatist groups and "it cannot guarantee the safety of the international team in and around the crash site", Xinhua quoted Malaysia's Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai as saying in Kiev Sunday.

The situation was further hampered by reports that a number of competing separatist groups control the area in and around the crash site, with no clear leader or chain of command, he said.

Malaysia was deeply concerned about this situation and demanded immediate and unrestricted access to the crash site and safety guarantee for international investigators and search and recovery personnel.

The Malaysia Airlines MH17 flight with 298 people on board crashed Thursday in eastern Ukraine, with no survivors found so far, making one of the worst tragedies in the history of civil aviation.

"Malaysia demands that all human remains must be allowed to be recovered, identified and repatriated," the minister said in Kiev.

A Malaysian team of 133 officials and experts, comprising search and recovery personnel, forensics experts, technical and medical experts arrived in Kiev Saturday morning.

(Posted on 21-07-2014)

Share This Page: