Sunday, February 14 2016

Home > News > More News

Nido: After Rahul, Kejriwal to meet protesters

Posted on Feb 04 2014 | IBNS

New Delhi, Feb 4 : A day after Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi addressed a candle light protest over the death of Arunachal Pradesh youth Nido Taniam, Delhi Chief Minister and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) supremo Arvind Kejriwal on Tuesday will meet protesting students from the North-East.

The students are on an indefinite 'dharna' to protest against Nido Taniam's death.

They are demanding a fast-track probe into his death and action against the police for allegedly not helping him when some shopkeepers were beating him up in South Delhi.

Nido Taniam died of a swelling in his brain and excess fluid in his lungs, said his autopsy report.

The report however is inconclusive on whether he succumbed to his injuries after being beaten up.

Doctors said a detailed viscera report might provide more conclusive proof.

Rahul Gandhi on Monday visited Jantar Mantar here to address the candle light protest carried out by the North Eastern community over the death of Nido Taniam and ensured that justice will be done.

"What happened to Nido is totally unacceptable. We will ensure Nido gets justice," Gandhi said.

He said there is only one India where everyone should be treated equally and get justice.

"Whether you are from North East or South, there is only one India. And that India belongs to all of us. We are going to ensure you get respect in this country. Full stop," Rahul said.

He said that, "What he (Nido) looks like, it does not matter. He deserves justice."

Earlier in the day, Rahul also asked Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to look into the case.

In what appears to be yet another violent attack on a member of the Northeast community, the 18-year-old student from Arunachal Pradesh studying in Delhi died on Jan 30 from beatings by several shopkeepers in a market area of Lajpat Nagar in the national capital on Jan 29 evening.

Nido Taniam, had got engaged in an altercation on Jan 29 with some people in the market after he was teased for his hairstyle leading to a fight.

The glass of a shop had broken leading to more violence in which the boy was mercilessly beaten up leading to his death the next day. He was found dead in his room.

Activists alleged that police apathy also caused the death since though cops came but did not rescue him. He died of internal injuries, said reports.

The victims' friends were also there when the altercation occurred. Activists said police had brokered a peace first but then did not act. The boy was asked to pay Rs 10,000/- first but then why he was again beaten and left there was not clear.

Latest News: