Johannesburg, Feb. 2 ANI | 6 months ago

More than 136 000 people have been killed since the Syrian conflict began in March 2011.


A Britain-based NGO made the revelation, saying that the death toll rose after January, which was one of the bloodiest months on record.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the death toll now stood at least 136 277 people, including 47 998 civilians and more than 7 300 children, news 24 reports.

Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman said January was among the bloodiest months since the beginning of conflict

Rahman added that the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights would continue to call on all actors on the international stage to do their humanitarian and moral duty for Syria.

The group said it sought 'the trial of the murderers of the Syrian people, and those who have collaborated with them'.

The Observatory's last toll, at the end of December, stood at 130 433, but fierce fighting between rebels and the regime, as well as between rebels and jihadists, has claimed nearly 6 000 lives since then, the report said.

The group said at least 31 629 opposition fighters, including more than 8 000 jihadists, had been killed since the start of the conflict.

The toll also includes 2 824 unidentified individuals whose deaths the Observatory has documented, it added.

(Posted on 03-02-2014)