12 killed in Nigerian village attack
Posted on Jun 22 2014 | IANS
Abuja, June 22 : As many as 12 people were killed Saturday in an attack by suspected Boko Haram gunmen in the Nigerian state of Borno, sources said.
The attack occurred in Koronginim Village, near the town of Chibok, where more than 200 schoolgirls were kidnapped in April, Xinhua quoted witnesses as saying.
Insurgents in military uniforms stormed the village and wreaked havoc on residents, shooting indiscriminately. "So far about a dozen dead bodies had been found, " said a security source, requesting anonymity.
The attackers chased some of the fleeing villagers into the surrounding bushes, injuring more than 10 people in the attack, Simeon Buba, a resident who lives close to Chibok.
They also set ablaze houses, shops and vehicles in the four- hour attack before heading for Ntsiha Village in the vicinity. "Over there (at Ntsiha Village), they also killed people and burnt their houses," said Buba.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the latest attack.