Wellington, May 21 ANI | 6 months ago

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has said that it 'deeply regrets' the leaking of evidence in their match-fixing investigation and added that New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum is not under investigation.

ICC's public statement has come a week after details emerged in the British media of former New Zealand batsman Lou Vincent's role in match-fixing and his evidence, along with McCullum's revelations he was approached by 'Player X' with an offer to fix matches, which he claimed he refused.

According to Stuff.co.nz, ICC chief executive Dave Richardson stated that the ICC considers any leak of any kind of information to be an extremely serious matter.

Richardson further said that in this matter, the nature of the information that has found its way to the media is highly confidential and has been provided in tightly controlled circumstances by individuals to the ACSU (anti-corruption unit) as part of ongoing investigations.

Richardson also said that they are taking all steps available to them to 'urgently' investigate how certain information in the form of statements has come to find its way into the media, in order to provide 'reassurances to the stakeholders within the sport so that they can continue to place their trust in the hands of the ACSU'.

Richardson said some information had been provided to people outside the ICC 'so that lines of inquiry could properly be completed', raising the prospect that the leaks had come from outside the ICC.

Stating that the ICC found themselves in this situation with 'grave disappointment', Richardson also said that McCullum is not under investigation as he has acted quite properly in accordance with his responsibilities as a professional cricketer, adding that he is to be 'commended' for his actions.

(Posted on 21-05-2014)

Share This Page:


Post your comments