Kolkata, May 20 UNI | 2 months ago

Cement production in India went up at 24.79 million tons (mt) during March 2014, up 12.94 per cent from 21.95 mt produced in February 2013.


India Coal Market Watch (ICMW) after compiling data reported that total cement production during 2013-14 stood at 255.63 mt compared to 248.23 mt recorded during the corresponding period of the previous year.

Due to dull market conditions, currently, cement manufacturers are operating at only around 70 per cent of the total installed capacity while the remaining 30 per cent is lying idle due to lack of adequate orders, said an industry source.

Despite this, some of the major cement manufacturers are in a capacity addition mode and are coming up with new grinding units in central India. This is primarily due to ready availability of ash, a senior cement industry official said on conditions of anonymity.

(Posted on 21-05-2014)