Mumbai, May 8 Bombay High Court today reserved its order on a public interest litigation (PIL) demanding CBI investigation into the murder of anti-superstition activist Narendra Dabholkar last year. UNI | 3 months ago


A division bench, headed by Justice P V Hardas, reserved order after CBI lawyer contended that there was no need to transfer the probe to the central investigating agency as no allegations had been made against the state or police for shoddy investigations.

CBI counsel Rebecca Gonsalves cited a Supreme Court judgement, which said that if no allegations were levelled against the authorities then there was no need to transfer investigations in a criminal case.

The petitioner Ketan Tirodkar pleaded that even if no allegations were made against authorities, the probe in a criminal case could be transferred to CBI if it has national or international ramifications.

On last occasion, CBI had told the court that it was considering taking over the probe in this case and sought time to file a reply.

However, today, CBI counsel said there was no need to transfer the probe to the agency as there were no allegations against authorities concerned.

Pune police had earlier submitted case diaries and confidential reports to the court. After going through them, the judges sought to know the status of the probe, and asked CBI what was its stand. The government had also informed that so far the main conspirators had not been arrested, and those, who were arrested, had got bail.

(Posted on 09-05-2014)