Applicants criticise Sethi's decision to declare Waqar Younis as Pak's new head coach
Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Najam Sethi's decision to declare former Pakistani captain Waqar Younis as the next head coach has been criticised by former players and applicants, who had applied for various coaching positions that had been advertised by the PCB.
Sethi's recent announcement that he is hopeful of better results with Younis and Moin Khan's coach and manager combination has not gone down well with other hopeful applicants.
One of the applicants said that it is unprofessional that Sethi had taken Younis' name for the coaching position before the cut-off date, which is May 5, The Express Tribune reported.
The applicant said that the PCB chief had been doing well so far at his post, but such remarks did not suit him because he is heading an organisation.
He further added that Sethi's comments have raised questions on the transparency of the selection process for coaches, adding that if people were to be handpicked, then PCB should not have advertised for the vacant coaching positions.
Another candidate said that it is an open secret that Younis had been the favourite to be made head coach, but Sethi should have waited for a few days before making an announcement.
Meanwhile, former Test cricketer Jalaluddin, who holds the record of achieving the first hat trick in ODIs, said that he did not apply for any post in protest against the PCB.
Jalaluddin, who has been repeatedly ignored in the past when he applied for the post of National Cricket Academy director, bowling coach for the Pakistan team and for the head coach position, said that for the last several years, the PCB has been channeling favouritism when it comes to appointing people on key posts, which is why he decided not to apply this time around in protest.
(Posted on 04-05-2014)