3 women among 9 injured in fire in Kolhapur chawl
Nine people, including three women, were injured with four of them with serious burn injury when a big fire broke out due to leakage of gas in an old chawl at Bharatnagar near Hundred Foot road here today.
The fire broke out this afternoon when one of the six tenants in the chawl, Abdul Farukh Bargir, who was involved in illegal filling of gas into the cylinders of auto rickshaws, went out for meal.
On his return, he found that the room was filled with gas. He immediately removed the regulator but due to an electric metre, a big fire broke out and it soon spread to other parts of the chawl, police said.
Bargir and other tenants immediately informed police and fire brigade, who sent four fire engines to the spot to douse the blaze.
The fire fighters battled the raging flames for an hour and managed to extinguish the fire.
In this incident, nine members of six families including three women sustained burn injuries with four of them serious burns. They all were admitted in incentive care unit of Miraj hospital.
The injured persons were identified as Suresh Chandrakant Ainapure (18), Mubarak Sardar Bagwan (30), Aditya Sunil Kengare (12), Aryan Aditya Desai (5), Asif Akbar Maner (21), Altaf Husen Sheikh (22), Sudha Suryakant Kengare (65), Laxmi Narayan Swami (43) and Sameena Ameen Sayad (7).
Miraj police later seized six cylinders from Bargir's house.
No one was arrested in this connection so far, sources added.
(Posted on 30-04-2014)