Thane, Apr 14 UNI | 3 months ago

A sessions court at Kalyan has convicted and sentenced to five years rigorous imprisonment (RI) a 33-year-old man from Chinchavali of Ambernath in the district for harassing his newly-wed wife for a sum of Rs 500 and driving her to commit suicide under duress.

Additional Sessions Judge A Z Telgote rejected the submissions of the defence and accepted the prosecution's arguments on the suicide by the 21-year-old woman.

The court convicted the husband, Shaniwar Soma Warghada, under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and also imposed fines on him totaling Rs 500 for his offences. While, his mother Devki Soma Warghada (50) was acquitted of the charges by the court for want of sufficient evidence.

The prosecutor told the court that Mamta was married to accused Shaniwar in the month of March 2002. Within few days after marriage, the accused started asking her to bring Rs 500 from her parents for household expenses and on that ground used to beat and ill-treat her.

The prosecution further told the court that the mother-son duo used to ill-treat the deceased and used to starve her. Whenever she came to her parents home, she used to inform her parents about the demand of money and harassment by her husband.

But her parents used to convince her and send her to her matrimonial house with a hope that her husband would improve one day. Her parents also tried to convince her husband, but it had no effect. The accused continued demanding money from the deceased and illtreating her on that ground.

Prosecutor further told the court that the deceased was fed up with the harassment meted out to her by the accused. Ultimately on the night of August 14, 2002, she set herself ablaze.

She had sustained extensive burn injuries. When the next day her parents came to her house, they found her lying in a burnt condition and took her to the hospital. She succumbed on the way to hospital,the court was told.

'It is proved by the evidence on record that the deceased committed suicide by setting herself ablaze on the night of

August 15, 2002, at her house. As already held above, it is proved by the evidence of parents of the deceased that the deceased was being constantly harassed and tortured by her husband over the demand of money which ultimately led the deceased to commit suicide.

The commission of suicide by deceased was, therefore, was a result of constant harassment meted out to her by the husband. An offence punishable under Section 306 of IPC also stands proved by the evidence on record,' the judge noted in his order and awarded the sentence.

(Posted on 14-04-2014)