Ishrat: Court issues notice to Amit Shah
Posted on Mar 14 2014 | IBNS
Ahmedabad, Mar 14 : A Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court on Friday issued a notice to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi's close aide Amit Shah in connection to the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case.
Earlier in February, CBI chief Ranjit Sinha said that there was no political pressure on the investigating agency in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case probe in which Shah was given a clean chit.
The CBI filed a supplementary chargesheet in the case but it did not name the former Gujarat home minister, clearing him of any role to play in the case.
"We have not pleased anybody. We have conducted the probe absolutely independently. There was no pressure at all," CBI chief Ranjit Sinha told CNN IBN, adding that there was no prosecutable evidence against Shah.
"We have done a fair investigation," he said denying a report in a newspaper in which he was quoted saying that the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government at the centre would have been happy if Shah was implicated.
The CBI chargesheet had charged former Intelligence Bureau (IB) officer Rajinder Kumar and some other officers of the department in the case.
Kumar, who recently retired, and three serving IB officers- P Mittal, MK Sinha and Rajiv Wankhede- were charged with abduction, conspiracy to murder, and illegal confinement.
The CBI earlier interrogated Shah in connection with the case.
Nineteen-year-old Ishrat was gunned down by the Gujarat Police along with Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and Jisan Johar Abdul Gani in Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
The police alleged that Ishrat and three others were Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militants who conspired to assassinate Modi.