Dec 16 gang rape timeline
The Delhi High Court Thursday upheld the death sentences awarded to the four people convicted for the Dec 16, 2012, gang-rape and subsequent death.
Here is a timeline of major developments in the case:
* Dec 16, 2012: A 23-year-old physiotherapy student raped by six people, including a juvenile, inside a moving bus.
* Dec 17: Bus driver Ram Singh and two other accused arrested.
* Dec 18: Protests over the incident, crowds clash with police in central Delhi. Fourth accused arrested.
* Dec 19: Two accused brought before a Delhi court. Accused Vinay tells court to "hang me".
* Dec 21: Fifth accused, who claims to be 17-and-half years old, arrested from Anand Vihar in east Delhi.
* Accused Akshay Kumar Singh arrested from Bihar.
* Dec 22: Gang rape victim records statement before a sub-divisional magistrate.
* Dec 23: Fast track court set up by the Delhi high court.
* Dec 24: The government announces setting up of a committee to suggest amendments in law for speedy trials and enhanced punishment for criminals in rape cases.
* Dec 27: The victim is airlifted to Singapore for treatment.
* Dec 29: She succumbs to her injuries at a Singapore hospital.
* Dec 30: The body of the gang rape victim is flown back to Delhi, cremated.
* Jan 3, 2013: A case of rape, murder, kidnapping, destruction of evidence, and attempted murder is filed against all the five accused in the case.
* Jan 7: Court orders in-camera trial.
* Jan 10: Five accused get lawyers for defence.
* Jan 28: Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) declares that one of the six accused is a minor.
* Feb 2: Fast track court paves the way for trial and charges five men with murder, gang rape and other offences.
* Feb 3: The Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance, 2013, is passed by the Lok Sabha March 19 and the Rajya Sabha March 21.
* Feb 5: Trial begins in the case and court records statements of accused.
* March 11: Accused Ram Singh is found dead, hanging in his Tihar Jail cell.
* May 17: The victim's mother appears as a prosecution witness before the trial court and says, "Give justice to my daughter".
* June 14: The juvenile accused turns 18 in custody. Age calculated according to school certificate.
* July 11: JJB in New Delhi defers verdict on the minor accused to July 25.
* July 25: JJB defers verdict on minor accused till Aug 5.
* Aug 22: The Supreme Court allows the Juvenile Justice Board to go ahead with pronouncing its verdict after accepting BJP leader Subramanian Swamy's plea for a fresh interpretation of the term "juvenile".
* Aug 31: Juvenile Justice Board sentences the minor accused to a three-year stay in a special home.
* Sep 10: Court convicts the four accused.
* Sep 11: Court reserves the order on sentencing the four convicted in the Dec 16 gang rape case.
* Sep 13: Court awards death penalty to the four.
* Sep 13: Trial court refers the case to the Delhi High Court for confirmation of their death sentence.
* Nov 1: The Delhi high court starts hearing the case on a daily basis.
* Jan 3, 2014: The Delhi High Court reserves its verdict on confirming the death sentence and appeals of the four convicts in the Dec 16 gang rape and murder case.
*March 13: The Delhi High Court upholds the death sentences awarded to the four convicts.
(Posted on 13-03-2014)
Free Yearly Horoscope: Select your zodiac sign