Sunday, February 14 2016

Home > News > Sports India News

I-L: Mumbai go down 0-2 to Salgaocar

Posted on Mar 10 2014 | IBNS

Vasco, Mar 9 : Mumbai FC's eight-match unbeaten run in the I-League came to an end with a 0-2 defeat to Salgaocar FC in an I-League Round-20 encounter at the Tilak Stadium in Vasco on Sunday.

First half strikes from medio Gilbert Olivera (10th minute) and striker Dudu Omagbemi (45+1st) handed all three points to the hosts.

Mumbai FC's fifth loss of the season also meant that they now stay rooted at tenth place in the table with 19 points from eighteen games.

Coach Khalid Jamil made two changes to the starting line up from the previous game handing starts to NP Pradeep and Peter Costa.

After creating a few chances in the opening exchanges, Salgaocar took the lead ten minutes into the game.

Defender Rahul Kumar's throw-in was headed on to the woodwork by Bikash Jairu and Gilbert was in the right place at the right time to tap it home.

Mumbai FC finally came out of their shell after soaking pressure in the opening quarter and started pushing up.

Winger Nicholas Rodrigues saw his freekick sail inches over midway through the half before Ebi Sukore too had his attempt go wide minutes later.

Six minutes from the break, Mumbai FC created their best chance of the half. After Sukore forced Salgaocar 'keeper Karanjit Singh into a diving save, the rebound fell for Pradeep who agonisingly volleyed over.

The hosts capitalised on Mumbai FC's poor finishing and doubled their advantage a minute into added time.

Medio Clifton Dias set up striker Dudu for a close finish giving Salgaocar a 2-0 lead going into the break.

The second half was a much open affair as Mumbai FC created more chances. Midway through the half, Coach Jamil introduced the strike pair of Yusif Yakubu and Jayesh Rane in place of Pradeep and Alfred Jaryan.

Into the final ten minutes, Mumbai FC went agonisingly close but Sukore somehow failed to tap home Jayesh's low cross into the box right in front of the goal.

Minutes later, it was Yakubu who went close. However, the Ghanaian was unlucky as his powerful shot from the right came off the woodwork.

Mumbai FC kept on pushing ahead but the hosts held on to grab all three points.

Latest News: