Mumbai, Feb 27 IBNS | 6 months ago

The Indian Navy submarine INS Sindhuratna on Thursday morning docked at the Mumbai harbour as search operations for two missing sailors are all set to resume.


Hours after a submarine accident off the Mumbai coast left seven Navy personnel injured, Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi resigned on Wednesday.

The Indian government accepted his resignation with immediate effect.

"Taking moral responsibility for the accidents and incidents which have taken place during the past few months, the Chief of Naval Staff Admiral DK Joshi today resigned from the post of CNS. The Government has accepted the resignation of Admiral Joshi with immediate effect," the Indian government said in a statement.

"The Vice Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral RK Dhowan will be discharging the duties of officiating CNS, pending appointment of regular CNS," read the statement.

At least seven Navy personnel were injured and two sailors went missing in a mishap inside the INS Sindhuratna, a Kilo-class submarine, off the Mumbai coast on Wednesday.

According to reports, a search operation was launched to trace the two sailors.

"Smoke was seen coming out of the vessel during a routine exercise. It was brought under control within 24 hours," said Navy PRO Rahul Sinha.

"Around five crew members need treatment as they have inhaled smoke," he said.

The Indian Navy ordered an enquiry into the incident.

INS Sindhuratna (S59) is a Sindhughosh-class diesel-electric submarine of the Indian Navy.

In August last year, at least 18 Navy personnel were killed in a fire onboard INS Sindhurakshak submarine that sank after an explosion.

(Posted on 27-02-2014)