Panaji, Feb 26 IANS | 10 months ago

A special police task force squad will soon be cobbled together to crack down on foreigners and others who allegedly run taxi and tour operations in Goa, said Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar Wednesday.

This decision is one of the concessions given by Parrikar to agitating tourist taxi drivers, who went on strike for two days since Monday.

"A special task force will be set up under a superintendent of police to crack down on illegal taxi and tour services operated by foreigners and others," Parrikar said. Taxi drivers then called off their strike formally.

The meeting between the representatives of over 7,000 taxi drivers and Parrikar Wednesday followed a two-day taxi strike, which was conditionally called off late Tuesday.

Thousands of taxi drivers have been protesting the running of a fleet of radio cab service called 'Ola Cabs' in Goa, operated by a large private company.

While the service was announced in Goa earlier this month, a clarification issued by the state transport department Monday said that no official permission has been granted for the radio cab service.

Parrikar has said that for the moment the government has directed the promoters of the taxi service to stop operation immediately.

The strike hit the tourists most. Thousands of them were stranded at airports, railway stations and inter-state bus stops Monday and Tuesday.

(Posted on 26-02-2014)

Share This Page: