Sydney, Feb 25 ANI | 5 months ago

Australian head coach Darren Lehmann has defended the visiting bowlers for failing to exploit reverse swing like the South Africans in the second Test and said that Australia's dreadful batting collapse was not as bad as in Durham during the fourth Test of last year's Ashes tour.


Australia lost 10-90 to be bowled out for 216, losing the second Test by 231 inside four days, with no batsman making more than six after an opening stand of 126 between Chris Rogers (107) and David Warner (66).

According to News.com.au, Lehmann said that the Australian batsmen could not cope with South Africa's bowling attack, which he described as 'high class', adding that atleast they did not play any bad shots and lose wickets like they did at Durham last year.

Stating that Australia needs to get better in their first innings, Lehmann however, defended his side's fast bowlers, saying that they were a victim of having to bowl first while South Africa had the advantage of a rough, dry pitch bowling last, and denied that Australia must reassess its plans against Dale Steyn, who now has 11 wickets in the series at an average of 23.

Australia lost 8-56 at Durham and 9-64 in Port Elizabeth and the report mentioned that the real contrast between the two matches was how benign Australia's pace attack looked on the flat St George's Park wicket and how imposing South Africa's fast bowlers were, particularly Steyn.

(Posted on 25-02-2014)