Daniel Abt, di Grassi get Formula E drive
ABT Sportsline will contest the first season of the new FIA Formula E Championship with former Formula 1 driver Lucas di Grassi and German youngster Daniel Abt. The German team is the first of the 10 in the field to have presented its driver line-up.
The inaugural event of the new fully-electric race series will take place in Beijing Sep 13.
"In Daniel and Lucas we've signed our absolutely ideal pairing," said team owner Hans-Jurgen Abt in a statement Thursday.
"My thanks go to Audi who released Lucas for the Formula E commitment. He's been involved in the development of the series right from the beginning and is one of the most sought-after names on the scene - we're proud that he's opted for us."
The 29-year-old Brazilian has previously competed in Formula 1, various Formula series and endurance races. In 2014 di Grassi is again part of the Audi squad, running in the FIA World Endurance Championship including Le Mans. "I'm delighted that Audi is giving me the opportunity to drive in sports car racing as well as in Formula E," says di Grassi.
Abt is starting his second GP2 season in 2014 after having previously clinched the runner-up's spot in the GP3 Championship. As the son of team owner and CEO Hans-Jurgen Abt he was one of the first applicants.
"I was really thrilled with the ideas of Formula E from the very beginning and obviously even more about ABT Sportsline competing with a team of their own," says Daniel Abt.
Formula E is a new FIA racing championship featuring fully-electric single-seater race cars. The series will compete in the heart of 10 of the world's leading cities - including Germany's capital Berlin - with 10 teams, each with two drivers, going head-to-head to create a unique and exciting racing series designed to appeal to a new generation of motorsport fans.
(Posted on 13-02-2014)
Free Yearly Horoscope: Select your zodiac sign