Wed, 26 Jul 2017
Puri City Information
Puri is also known as "Sri Purusottama Dham" and is a sacrosanct centre for Hindus all over the globe for its world famous Jagannath temple.
It is also known for the good stretch of the beautiful white sand beaches on Bay of Bengal.
Places of Interest:
- The Jagannath Temple - The majestic temple of Jagannath is a major attraction for the piligrims visiting Puri and the temple is one of the four most important Hindu pilgrimage sites or the Char Dham, alongwith Dwarka, Badrinath and Rameshwaram. Non-Hindus cannot enter this temple.
- Gundicha Ghar - The Gundicha temple is believed to be the home of Lord Krishna's aunt 'Gundicha'. The legend has that the Lord stayed here for 9 days during the Rath yatra in Puri.
- Temple of Child Krishna at Indradyumna Tank - The Indradyumna Tank has a small shrine dedicated to King Indradyumna of Orissa. The tank is one of the five sacred lakes of Puri.
- Chilika Lake - It is the Asia's largest freshwater lake situated 50 kilometers from Puri. It has many emerald green islands and is the home to a rich variety of aquatic fauna.
- Konark - Konark is the home to the Sun Temple which is also called the Black Pagoda. Konark is a must visit for its historical and architectural importance. The Konark beach is said to be one of the most romantic beaches on the eastern coast.
For More Articles, visit Back to INDIA INFO Home